Manuiti

Kiwi MANUITI

HATCHED: Auckland Zoo, 29/10/1998
Hand Reared

PARENTS: Both held at Auckland Zoo.
Both were wild Northland birds and came via the Whangarei Bird Recovery, but I haven’t been able to find out the circumstances. One came from Tangitororia and I know that area was cleared by roller-crushing; some birds were rescued and translocated, so it may have been one of those, or an egg that was rescued. The other parent is recorded as coming from Sim Gibb’s. I have read somewhere that Sim Gibb was an early kiwi conservation worker and from what I remember he was in the Far North, he did some hatching and rescue, but I don’t think he was DOC; unfortunately I can’t remember where I saw that.

TRANSFERRED TO LIMESTONE ISLAND: 11/3/2002 to pair with Baldrick (a female!)

ARRIVED WHANGAREI KIWI HOUSE: 25/11/2003 in very poor condition having been beaten up by other kiwi on the island.

Baldrick has been paired with another kiwi, Glen, and they have gone on to breed successfully.

April 2006 Transferred from the outdoor pen into the nocturnal house.

No comments: